When you think of a squirrel, what strikes your mind?
How to trap and Get rid of them for good?
Well, your answer might be yes if you have squirrel problem in your yard or attic.
But for most people out there these little critters are among the most loved animals in the wildlife world, right!
It’s hard to believe these friendly animals can cause damages to your property?
Yes….. Despite being cute and adorable, squirrels can cause great damage to both the interior as well as the exterior of your home. They can damage your attics by chewing wires, and rip up insulation and can also damage trees in your yard by building their nests, gnawing on, eating the bark etc.
At times, you might be surprised to know that your homeowner insurance policy too may not cover you for any damage caused by these adorable, friendly yet destructive creatures!
Most Effective Squirrel Repellent in 2017: Reviews
The most frequently asked question is how to control squirrels, and get rid of them permanently. The more logical answer around is “Trapping”. This method involves placing squirrel trap or a cage into the opening that the squirrel uses to enter the house and seal all the other opening. When the alternative passages are closed, the squirrel has no other way, and they will be forced to enter the cage. For effective results, you can put some sunflower seeds or any other food.
As this is the best way to get rid of squirrels in the yard, there are different types of trap cages available in the 2017 market. These are:
Video below shows you instructions for operating a cage trap:
Video below shows you how one-way trap works:
Wildlife specialists consider this options to be not only effective but also humane. It’s a special one-way door designed with a tension flap which allows the squirrel only to exit but leaves no chances for entering back inside your home. This effectively repels and keep all rodents away from your compound.
Home Remedies to get rid of squirrels
Apart from causing severe damages to your home, squirrels can also bring health hazards. When a person comes in contact with the urine and droppings of the squirrel, he/she might be under the risk of salmonella infection. They can also cause fleas and tick to your pets. So, before squirrel become your enemy, get rid of them using the following simple home remedies.
- Safflower Seeds – Since these seeds are bitter in taste, squirrels don’t like them. These seeds don’t cause any harm to the squirrels even to the birds.
- Motion-Activated Sprinklers – If you’ve more squirrels in your garden, you can install a sprinkler system. This sprinkler doesn’t harm them rather it just scares them, thus protecting your garden from destruction.
- Moth Balls –Made up of naphthalene flakes, these moth balls help repel the squirrels. Place moth balls at the squirrel infested places.
- Spray Predator Urine - Spray predator urine near the squirrel infested places and near the plants in your garden. It doesn’t harm your plants; it works as a natural squirrel repellent. You can get the urine from your nearby zoo or shop online!
- Fencing – Fencing your entire garden might seem like a better solution. But squirrels can easily nimble the fence wires, so instead of using wire fencing, consider an electric fence. It can save your garden not only from squirrels but also from all other rodents.
- Light and sound - Let the light and radio on (high volume) near the squirrel infested points. Make sure it won’t bother you or your neighbors; lights and radio on high volume can irritate rodents like squirrels and will drive the pests to leave the place.
Must Do’s to prevent squirrel intrusion
- Keep your property clean ensuring that there is nothing tempting for the squirrels
- Close the ventilation openings with netting
- Place a guard over the chimneys so that squirrels cannot enter into your home
- Be proactive and act instantly if you have a family of squirrels in your home
You may be interested in other pest control articles:
Eco-friendly squirrel repellents
Most squirrels’ species are endangered and killing them is considered as a crime in most states. So while shopping for squirrel repellent products, look for something eco-friendly just like the following suggested products:
Havahart Critter Ridder
This repellent targets a range of animals through a nasty smell and taste, both of which are harmless to the rodents. The spray is rain-resistant and has an unpleasant pepper taste; making plants uneatable to animals & rodents. This spray leaves no residue or film coat on plants or flowers and also lasts up to 90 days.
Predator Pee – 100% Pure Fox Urine
It’s a more effective natural repellent and deterrent that stops pests like rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels and skunks from getting in your garden and house. This solution creates an illusion that a predator is nearby and it triggers the fear that causes rodents to leave and never come back.
Ultrasonic Pest Repeller
This Pest Repeller emits 20~65KHZ ultrasonic affecting the endocrine system and physiological function of the pests. Thus it causes them to scramble here and there to find a peaceful area and forces them to leave your home. It’s 100% safe and environmental friendly; it’s easy to use, and the typical results can take 2 to 3 weeks depending on the amount of infestation.
Just as how we love our shelters, squirrels too love their homes. Squirrels are very brainy & smart; they will always find ways to come back where they feel comfort. Getting rid of them may sound easy, but it takes some effort and need a lot of patience.
We’ve all heard the adage Prevention Is Better than the Cure and this is 100% true when it comes to handling pests. So act now and get ready to stop these unwelcomed guests entering your home!